Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Raft For The Cure in Moab



We just got back from our second annual Raft For The Cure event that Ryan and his company put on in Moab. Ryan started the event last year after meeting with a rafting company from back east that does a similar event. Everyone is affected by breast cancer in one way or another, it is rare to meet someone who is not. Ryan's mom is a 3 year survivor, my grandmother is a survivor, and the year we started the event our coworker and friend Betty was diagnosed with breast cancer and is now a 1 year survivor.



We plan all year for this event. Ryan has me do the decorating and organizing of our both that we have at Race For The Cure, and the signage that goes up at the actual event. I love getting involved and working with my husband, and was glad I could still help out this year despite having a baby and some health issues.



Raft For The Cure 2008 was a blast, and just as successful as last years. The day included an all day rafting trip down the Colorado, lunch on the river, BBQ and concert that night, prize giveaways, silent auction, and a T-shirt all for $100. With 50% of the proceeds going to Suzan G Komen.





We stayed at the Gonzo Inn, which is the cutest little boutique hotel right across from the Moab Adventure Center. It was really nice just to be able to walk back and forth with Jayna, and not have to pack her up in the car every-time we needed to go somewhere in town.







Friday we spent all day organizing what needed to get done and staging everything for Saturday. We went over to the warehouse and checked out the food situation for Saturday, and picked up the helium tank and things like that. That night we set out all the tables and tents in the parking lot. We also had a little birthday celebration for Dena who according to the cake is only 22.



Late Friday night Ryan's mom came down to Moab. She was in Utah helping Summer with the new baby and it worked out that she could come down to the event. The picture is of us in front of one of our sweet Hummers.



I had been debating for weeks if I should go rafting or not. I wanted to go, it was just a logistics thing with Jayna's feeding schedule. I have the best husband ever though that convinced me it would work. He took care of Jayna all day while I was on the river and they came up and met me at Red Cliffs for lunch. It worked out great and I am glad I went. Debbie and I took a ducky, because it is my favorite thing. You get way more bang for your buck down that stretch of river if you are in a ducky.





Later that night we had a great time at the BBQ. I think every employee and guide held Jayna that night. She was so good, she just hung out and enjoyed the music. Chip and Brian played and Peter Brienholt was nice enough to come down and play for us too. The food was awesome and everyone seemed to enjoy themselves.



Jayna was so wiped out on Sunday from all the partying she did the night before. It made for a pretty easy trip back home to have her so tired. The picture above is of her being "gonzo" at the Gonzo Inn. Now that we are back and the event is over we are already stating to plan for next years Raft For The Cure. If you would like to join us in 2009 check out www.raftforthecure.com and we should have next years date up shortly.

2 comments:

JulieB said...

I love that last picture, where she's all wiped out- so cute! I'm glad you decided to go rafting, it stinks missing out on everything with a newborn!

Summer and Brian said...

Ryan and Jill, you two rock! We sometimes have a difficult time putting together a bbq with the neighbors, let alone a whole days worth of activities. We are definitely there next year, and Coleson just might be up for braving the river. Again, it's awesome that you do this event, keep it up! We might try to enlist some of your "skills" Ryan for the Buddy Walk this year. I can see it already, forget the Buddy Walk, let's do Buddy Rafters! Bring it.