Friday, October 16, 2009

Moxie: The ability to face difficulty with spirit and courage.



Last week my Grandma's dog Moxie got ran over by a car and passed away. It is always hard to deal with the death of a family pet. It is something I know I will have to face sometime in the future, and it is hard to even think about. I just feel so bad that my Grandma is having to go through this. She has had to deal with so much loss in her life. In-fact Moxie was a gift the family gave her after her second husband passed away. So this-morning when she called and I could tell she was not doing well I headed up to Bountiful with Jayna to get her out of the house and go to lunch. It is kinda neat that Jayna has a Great-grandmother that is still alive. My great-grandmother was alive when I was born, but I do not remember much about her and she passed away when I was just 3 or 4. So I thought it was cute when Grandma Goodfellow was worried about Jayna going outside without a sweater. Her solution to the problem was to wrap this large scarf around her neck. Jayna looked cute and I was surprised she left it on. It reminded me of that scene in the "Christmas Story" when the mom wraps the kid up like a mummy in winter clothes to walk to school. That movie probably depicts the same generation my grandmother is from too so it all makes sense. Grandma showed us where Moxie was buried in the backyard, which was sad. She seemed to handle it okay though. It is fun to see Jayna run around in the same places that I ran around as a little girl. My Grandma always tells me stories about how she would take me around the yard to look at all the fruit trees, and how it always amazed her how interested in them I was.





We had a good time at lunch and I was surprised how much Jayna loved interacting with Grandma Goodfellow. She played a cute little game with Jayna where she would walk her fingers across the table and tickle her. Jayna just ate it up, and giggled and giggled. I hope our visit made her feel a little better. I think grief is the hardest thing to give comfort to.

1 comments:

ashley g. said...

Your sweet little Grandma. I'm glad that you were able to go and visit her.

Hey- I just wanted to let you know that I've been thinking of you and hope that things are on the up and up for you. Take care!